Parish and Church Profile:
Eastcote and its environment
Eastcote is a leafy suburb on London’s north-west edge, in the borough of Hillingdon. Originally a small village, it developed in the 1930’s as the Metropolitan line was extended. It retains strong elements of a village with the cricket pitch, village pub and community feel; but it is unmistakably metropolitan with its central parade of shops and restaurants, two large secondary schools, ethnic mix and work pattern.
The Parish Community
The population is around 23,000; largely white British with 10% being Indian and Hindu. Many residents work in central London or further afield and unemployment is well below that of London and the UK; however, the 2011 census showed 13% of children in Eastcote are classed as living in poverty. Housing is 75% owner occupied; most is 1930’s semi-detached, the rest being mainly maisonettes and flats built in the 1970s and 2000s.
Church, Land and Buildings
The building is a 1930’s construction in good order set in two acres of grounds which also hold the hall and rooms, the parish centre, the scout hut and a small piece of woodland.
We represent a range of social backgrounds and ethnic diversity, with a wide age range. The electoral roll stands at 290; in worship, the Sunday 8 am averages 25 adults and the 10 am, 95 adults and 30 children. We are an open Anglo-Catholic tradition, using Common Worship flexibly; musically we are starting to include modern writers and a music group has developed as we have developed a once a month All Age Saturday evening Eucharist. We have an active and varied programme across the church. Many are involved in the Cursillo movement; we’ve been a pilot church in the diocese exploring how we enable people to be Ambassadors for Christ; and we have also run successful nurture courses for a number of years, the last two being Alpha.